Florida ICES

The Network Place for Florida ICES Sugar Artists

Hello Everyone,

As you know it is not legal to bake and sell goods from home in Florida.  I am trying to get the Cottage Food Act passed and I need your help.  I have two letters you can send to your state representative and another letter for your family and friends to send.  Power is in numbers and if we truly want to have our own business from home we all need to work together.

Feel free to use these letters and send to your State Representative and Local Representative.  You could go to State Representatives for Florida and send the letters to everyone.  I sent my letters to all the representatives because it is something good for the whole state.  I hope you will participate with this and I hope your family and friends will do the same.

Thank you,

Barbara

COTTAGE FOOD ACT.doc

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

I sent my letter several months ago. When will someone hear something about the decision?
Thanks for all the effort to get this passed. I live in Iowa 6 months out of the year and we have the Cottage Act.
Hi Sandy,
Thank you or your support since it has been several months since you sent the letter could you please send it again. The legislation is not in session during the summer so this is the time to start getting our State Representatives attention so it can be discussed when they meet in December. I went to the Florida State Representatives website and emailed all the representatives. I didn't care if they were in my district or not this is for the whole state.

I did receive a response from a couple of the representatives and they are talking about passing the Florida Freedom Food Act. I think they are confused what the Cottage Food Act entales or maybe that is what they will call it in Florida. We need to watch what will be included in the Florida Freedom Food Act. Below is the email I received from a representative.

Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 2:24 PM
To: LABONTE.LIADA.S13
Cc: STOVALL.SANDRA; 'Aller, Marion'
Subject: FW: Cottage Food Act

Hi Liada,

The issue of “cottage industry” sales such as baked goods to consumers is currently under review by the Food Safety and Food Defense Advisory Council. This council has members from a diverse background such as the DACS, FDA and the private sector. Upon a call phone call from me to the DACS Division of Food Safety I was reminded that there is language in the current Appropriations Act for a review to be made of “small farm” issues, which this matter falls under. The council is to complete its review and issue its findings by the end of the year.

This is to say that this very matter is under review now. I know that the council is aware of Senator Jones constituent’s concern as I sent an e-mail copy of the letter to the Division Director.

If I can be of further assistance on this issue please send me a note or give me a call.

Sincerely,
Jeff

Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 9:16 AM
To: POOLE.JEFF
Cc: LABONTE.LIADA.S13

Jeff,

I think this is an Agriculture – Food matter. Please let me know if you think it falls under DOH’s authority instead.
Thanks,
Sandra

Sandra R. Stovall, J.D., C.P.A.
The Florida Senate
Committee on Health Regulation
530 Knott Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1100
850.487.5824 facsimile: 850.410.0081

Stovall.sandra@flsenate.gov

Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 8:43 AM
To: STOVALL.SANDRA

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandy Lampe said:
I sent my letter several months ago. When will someone hear something about the decision?
Thanks for all the effort to get this passed. I live in Iowa 6 months out of the year and we have the Cottage Act.
ABC Action News will be interviewing me this Sunday regarding Florida Baking At Home legally. I hope this will help us get the Cottage Food Act passed. All who are sending letters to their state representative thank you for the support. Those of you who would like to help email me and I will be glad to send you the letters. Barb

RSS

© 2017   Created by Merrie Lee Axtell Reese.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service